James Edward Paddock
jamespaddock[at]hotmail.com / jamesp[at]jamespaddockmusic.com
Email for further contact details.
- 10+ years experience of musical composition and freelance writing.
- 6+ years experience of working with digital audio.
- 4+ years experience in singing. Tenor range.
- 3+ years experience in game development, creating music, art assets, and writing code.
- Have composed roughly 500 tracks of my own for various online gaming projects.
- Have led and been a part of several online community projects, mostly gaming- and music-based.
- Desire perfection in my output, possess a keen eye for quality and a passion for quality assurance.
Entire musical portfolio available here: http://jamespaddockmusic.com/midis/
- Proficient with computer software, specifically Windows OSes, digital audio workstations, communications programs, graphic editing, project management utilities/websites.
- Presently studying at university concepts such as advanced compositional techniques, and digital audio mixing, mastering and production.
- Possess a firm grasp of musical theory and have close to perfect pitch.
- Developing sheet music orchestration and sight-reading skills.
- Have performed my music publicly at the WA Academy of Performing Arts.
- Have composed, recorded and sung on an electronic EP entitled “Rainbow Season EP”, which is presently on iTunes and CDBaby, and have produced and mastered a second EP entitled “Realisations EP”, released for free on SoundCloud.
- Have great deal of experience in group work, particularly leading a team through to a project’s completion.
- Specialise in online community projects, for which I frequently am chief composer or project compiler.
- Some rudimentary experience with C++.
Online work: (2005-ongoing)
- Have written close to 500 original songs in General MIDI format for public use.
- Recently have opened up commissions, whereby customers pick from a variety of different types of composition, and specify their exact requirements to me via e-mail correspondence. I revise the work after receiving their feedback.
- Active member of several online communities, composing per users’ requests.
- Have collaborated with many fellow General MIDI musicians through online means in order to write specific tracks.
- Have written multiple transcriptions of existing songs.
- Taking Music Technology for A-level, I submitted three tracks for my practical exam, utilising the programs Propellerhead Reason and Cubase.
- Gained experience recording vocals, guitar, bass guitar, drumkit, cello, recruiting fellow musicians to assist me in recording covers of existing songs.
- Co-headed a group project for my Applied ICT A-level, for which an album of my material was produced and sold. Assisted with promotion and marketing, artwork and printing, and CD burning.
The Adventures of Square (2013-ongoing)
- Created independent game project using advanced source port of the original Doom engine, publically releasing an early three-level demo in 2013.
- Created all the original art assets, wrote all weapon/enemy programming, and designed all three levels plus a scripted tutorial stage for demo.
- Amassed and am currently co-managing and creatively directing an international team of currently 7 like-minded game and mod developers, organising and scheduling progress meetings.
- Assisted in level design, communicating and interacting with all other mapping team members on their queries regarding my requirements for the levels’ aesthetics and mechanics.
- Outlined plot and in-universe details in large design document for the team members.
- Specified differing game mechanics for three separate episodes of the game.
- Assisted in the creation of a Trello board through which all development on the project is documented.
- Currently composing part of the original soundtrack. Collaborated with other musicians on the team to help create it. Ensured soundtrack has multiple recurring motifs interpreted differently by all the musicians.
- End goal for the project is a full game with 3 episodes of wildly varying content, totalling ~34 standard levels, and a secret episode amounting to 8 separate bonus stages, plus a presently unknown number of multiplayer levels.
Revel-8 Film Festival (2014-16)
- Composed entirely original soundtracks for short silent films screened at Revel-8 Film Festival at the Luna Theatre: “Bert and the Bearded Dragon” (2014), “Crush on a Girl” (2015), “Letter Opener” (2016) and “Deep End” (2016).
- These films were shot using Super-8 cameras, and not seen by the filmmakers until the screening, where the films and music were both debuted. No collaboration or communication between the filmmakers and composers was permitted.
- “Bert and the Bearded Dragon” won the Audience’s Choice award at the 2014 screening.
- For all soundtracks, I was challenged to get my digitally-composed music sounding live/acoustic.
30in30, Volumes 1-3 (2013-15)
- Starting in 2013, began to write music in a quicker, more streamlined fashion, deciding on 30 minutes to be the timeframe I should work within as much as possible.
- Wrote 3 entire albums using this method, of 30 tracks each, every track “speedwritten” at least in part, within 30 minutes.
- Worked with fellow musicians over Skype/Mumble in order to challenge one another to write x number of tracks, spending 30 minutes on each.
- Albums are available for streaming/paid download on BandCamp.
- Spent all of January 2016 on writing the fourth “30in30” installment, instead spending 30 days of the month writing one track.
- Album is available for streaming/paid download on BandCamp.
Plutonia MIDI Pack (2014) and Revolution! MIDI Pack (2016)
- Founded and organised these collaborative projects for online community musicians to contribute their original compositions in order to create a new original soundtrack for the “Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment” (1996) add-on for Doom II (1994), and for the levelset “Revolution!” (2000).
- Compiled a list of the existing levels, allocating slots to the musicians requesting a place in the project. Also gave brief overviews of each level’s general aesthetic to serve as creative prompts for the musicians.
- Reviewed each submitted track, offering extensive feedback and critique, and where needed, collaborating with other musicians on their tracks to bring them to standard.
- Compiled the submissions and released the compilation over the gamers.org /idgames database, in a compact format that could be loaded with the game to replace the soundtrack in-game.
- Composed entirely original soundtracks for this series of short animated films by my brother Ben Paddock.
- Communicated with Ben to get specific times for key events in the films in order to sync the music as accurately as possible to them.
- Soundtrack makes frequent use of a leitmotif of my creation, developing this idea in numerous ways.
The Godhood Suite (2012)
- Imposed as a challenge to myself: this is a 44-minute piece of music in ten movements, in the style of progressive metal bands.
- Pushed my boundaries for musical complexity to their limits.
- As a result of spending time on this project, I now write much more complex and in-depth music.
Harmony MIDI Pack (2011)
- Composed entirely original soundtrack comprising 14 individual and unique tracks for the 2009 game “Harmony” by Thomas van der Velden.
- Created a track for each level of the game and for the title screen, level complete screen, and final cutscene.
- Paid particular attention to the feel and size of each level in order to compose a fitting soundtrack for each.
- Released over the gamers.org /idgames database, in a compact format that could be loaded with the game to replace the soundtrack in-game.
Bachelor Degree in Music – Major in Composition and Music Technology – At WA Academy of Performing Arts, Edith Cowan University.
Currently ongoing, in fourth/final year as of this writing. Have undertaken 39 units throughout course, 12 High Distinctions (HD), 14 Distinctions (D), 6 Credits (CR), 3 Passes (C).
A-Levels – 2 B’s, 1 C (2011) Music Technology (B), English Language & Literature (B), Drama & Theatre Studies (C). GCSEs – 3 A’s, 2 B’s, 2 C’s, 1 Merit (2008) English (A), English Literature (C), Mathematics (A), Science (B), Drama (C), Music (B), Art & Design: Fine Art (A) OCR Level 2 National First Certificate in ICT (2 Distinction, 2 Merits and 2 Passes – Merit overall, worth 3 GCSEs)
- Design & Produce Multimedia Products (Distinction)
- Desktop Publishing (Merit)
- Creating Sound Using ICT (Pass)
- ICT Skills in Business (Distinction)
- Creating Animation for the WWW Using ICT (Merit)
- Creating Video (Pass)
All above taken at Springwood High School in Gaywood, Norfolk, 2005-2011. I was awarded membership of the Young Gifted and Talented (formerly National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth) association in January 2006, for having a MidYIS (Middle Years Information System) score within the top 5% in the UK. I achieved 10 GCSEs and 5 A-Levels in the UK at Springwood High School in King’s Lynn, Norfolk. I was awarded the English Prize for Year 11 GCSE English in 2008, and was awarded the Special Prize for Endeavour in 2011, donated by the Springwood PTFA.
- http://jamespaddockmusic.com/ – My website/blog. I post about my life and my recent works here.
- http://jamespaddockmusic.com/midi-files/ – My MIDI repository, where I upload all of my original works.
- http://youtube.com/jamespaddockmusic – My YouTube channel. As of the time of this writing, has 160+ videos, and 250+ subscribers.
- http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAMAAAzYSCwBEZROhQYoOeeIFhHrbu92qjqUAuQ&trk=hp-identity-name – My LinkedIn profile.
- http://jamespaddock.bandcamp.com/ – My BandCamp artist page.